Thursday, April 14, 2011

Forgotten

Poem inspired by my Multicultural class this semester! This was my reflection response to our first unit!

The train stopped
when the tracks ended
it dumped me here
the child without a father
whose mother no one loves
with skin that no one understands
eyes that no one sees
lips that no one will kiss
feet that no one will clean

No one will tell me who I am
I don’t know how to tell myself
I’ve tried
over and over
but the heat inside
won’t let go
it cheers me on
and jerks me back
like puppet on a string
with a painted wooden face
the real boy was never meant to be

Memories tug at my membranes
massaging the tissues of my insides
mocking my stolen innocence
and shattered hopes
and then persistently fade
like black and white photographs

Tomorrow could be their last breath
before they are gone
like my grandparents who left
me for some place in the clouds
I grew up when
no one was watching
except the eyes of a cruel god
and empty moonbeams

I tried
I really did
but no one looked
even the girl
the one I thought would know
but the blood on her hands
matched the blood of others
and I had to cover my ears
to stop the screaming

my white rose
fell long ago
crushed under
the weight of heavy boots
and careless hands
pierced by a million
little lies that burned
every page of my journal

I might die today
but you won’t watch
because the blood
in my veins
is not yours

No comments:

Post a Comment