Thursday, January 27, 2011

Year 2080

I wrote this for my final project in my fiction class last semester!...
I have lived longer than any seventeen-year-old girl should be allowed to live.
Today when I stepped out my front door onto the green lawn of our village square, I knew I had lived one day longer than I wanted to.

He was standing there. It was Jacob, the boy from my dreams, who wore the ripped jeans and tattered green army cap. I blinked and grabbed my jacket from behind the front door. I hurried off the porch and walked straight past him, not looking, not even glancing. If he was real, then I knew he would follow. If he wasn’t, then I was too far gone to care.

I was eleven-years-old when the dreams first began. The village physician had more aptly diagnosed them as night terrors. I would wake up at my parents’ bedroom door every time, screaming in fear and covered in sweat from head to toe. My gentle and docile parents were driven out of their minds with worry, trying cure me of whatever “disease” they feared was afflicting me. No herbal remedies or hypnosis or prayers or dream catchers seemed to do the trick. It was beyond ironic that though our village existed in perfect peace and harmony, we never seemed to escape from our violent past; a past that was not only our own, but also the past of the entire world.

As a child I was schooled in depth about the history of the past. It was expected that I know every detail, every one wrong choice and every consequence. It must never be repeated, ever again. This was drilled and hammered into my very existence with such a penetrating and forceful significance that it seemed at times to fill every corner and inch of my subconscious. I wondered if anyone could truly move forward into the future without the weight of our awful history keeping them frozen in time. I asked my instructor Mr. Hammerstein once, “ Why do we exist?” He told me we were here to create a better future then the past that we destroyed.

I’m not sure I agree with him, or maybe something is wrong with me. Maybe my dreams are a curse I have been given, a way for the past to hold onto me with a tenacious grip of terror. Everything I have been taught has fueled the nightmares. The past reaches out for me with tight, tangled claws. What better future am I creating if I can never live in it? What if I can never be free from fear of the past?
There is only one hope in every nightmare, and it is Jacob. His blue eyes haunt me as he holds out his hand and begs for me to grab it. I never have; I always wake up gasping for air.

I walk towards the forest behind our dairy barns. I can hear his footsteps following me, crunching on the dead leaves that have begun to fall from the trees. He cannot be real. My mind is playing tricks. The dreams are crashing into my reality. They are merging the line between sleep and wakefulness. I have learned to numb myself, to ignore the dreams and to hold back my screaming. I do this for the sake of my family, my village and my own sanity. I thought I had mastered it. I thought I was strong enough until now.

I did not turn around until the village was hidden behind the trees. I glared at Jacob as he stopped five feet in front of me. My eyes met his, but I refused to be the first to speak.

“You don’t believe I am real, do you, Havyn? ” he asked slowly.

“That you even know to ask me is not encouraging my belief in your reality,” I retorted cynically.

“Well, whether you believe or not now does not affect what you will believe.” He stuck out his right hand,” I’m Jacob.”

I folded my arms coldly,” How do you know my name?”

“Why did you let me follow you into the forest?” he raised an eyebrow questioningly.

I stumbled for a reply,” I don’t know...I was trying to – I was trying...”

I stared at him unable to say anything clearly. He slowly smiled and this expression more than anything else sent chills down my spine. Why would he smile?

“I know you need to be able to trust me, Havyn,” he said slowly,” and by the look on your face I can tell I am freaking you out. I have never seen you before, yet you look at me as though you’ve seen a ghost.”

I held a hand to my cheek self-consciously, “I have seen you. You are the boy in my nightmares.”
Jacob was now the one who seemed confused and his bright eyes darkened, “What?”

“I have nightmares, and you are always the boy who tries to save me. I knew your name was Jacob, even before you told me your name.” I watched him let this information sink in then asked,” Why are you here now and how do you know my name?”

I was beginning to tremble slightly in my fingers. Jacob immediately grabbed my left hand and held it gently as he spoke forcefully, “Please don’t be frightened. I am not here to hurt you. Did I ever hurt you in your dreams?”

His eyes searched mine and I slowly shook my head, “No, you were always the only thing that made sense, the only thing I could trust.”

Jacob squeezed my hand between his own, “Then will you listen to everything I have to say? I am not asking you to believe, only to listen. Can you do that?”

I hesitantly nodded my head in agreement and let him lead to me to a large rock lying nearby. We sat down as he began to talk.

“The first thing you need to know, Havyn, is not going be easy to understand.” He shuffled his feet before continuing, “I am not from here, or even from this time. I am from the past, from before the Great War. I was born on August 7, 1999. I grew up in the country once known as the Unites States. I can’t explain why you’ve seen me in your dreams. I don’t know what I would do or who I would have become when the war began, but I do know why I’ve been sent here and I know why I can’t go back.”

I could feel my hands gripping the rock under me, rubbing my nails raw, “So you are a time traveler?”

Jacob nodded, “Yes.”

“And you’ve been sent here to do what?”

“Well, technically, to save you, among other things,” he winked.

This took me back, “Save me from what?”

“Yeah, well, that will take longer to explain.” He leaned back against the rock, “The world is a lot bigger than this village, Havyn, and evil did not stop when the war ended. Your picture perfect life is not going to last.”

“I am only half able to believe you because of my nightmares.” I wanted to cry as feelings of fear touched my heart. I had less ability to walk as innocently as the other children. The nightmares had always stained my soul.  I didn’t believe in picture perfect, even though every day I lived it. Who could accept it when the night hours were so filled with terrors?

“I am not expecting you to get it right away.” He closed his eyes as if he was in pain himself, “I didn’t want to come at first. It was hard knowing the future, but not being able to show you.”

I felt my head spinning, “How do you know the future if you are from the past?”

He opened his eyes, “Because, you sent people back to us. They told us what will come, so I chose to come here. You need to know now, today, what the truth is.”

I closed my eyes. I could feel tears squeezing their way to the surface. The future had always been bright, always full of hope until now. The village I lived in was one of so many on the earth. Life was simple. We lived by rules and obeyed them to the letter.

There was no reason to refute them. They kept us safe. We were secure from the terrors of the past; there were no cars, no lights, no computers, no TVs and absolutely no weapons of any kind. No technology from the past had been carried over into the future.

We were creating perfection. Our elders told us this every Sunday morning in chapel, but in all our simple perfection no one could erase my nightmares. This was why I was still sitting on the rock, listening to Jacob.

I wiped away my tears and asked him, “How could I send anyone into the past? We don’t even have phones here.”

“Because it was ‘future’ you from the year 3000. You don’t live in a village anymore, Havyn. You are a soldier in an army of rebels who have uncovered a powerful government that has created and controlled all the villages since the Great War ended in 2040. The technology that has grown under cover and in secret is so far advanced that anything we had a hundred years before is completely obsolete. The ability for time travel is created in 2090 and many men and women have been sent back in time to repair the damages the Great War did to our world. You sent two men back to 2018. They found me and many others and convinced us of the truth. I was trained by them and taught on many things, but they were killed before we effectively recreated our own time machine. Only one person could go. I volunteered and came here. There is no way to get back.”

I had no choice but to accept what Jacob was saying, “Why did you come to me now instead of  further in the future?”

Jacob frowned, “Because the future is always changing, and not just the good guys have the ability to bend space and time.” His voice grew very deep and solemn,“You are not the only one with nightmares, Havyn. There are 874 others who were born on the same day as you who are the same age and you are all going to be destroyed.”

I couldn’t breathe for a minute as I stared out into the trees. I could not see my village, but I could imagine it. It is immaculately green with little white cottages, blooming gardens and cobbled streets. Everyone would be preparing for the noon meal. The baker would be setting out fresh loafs in his front windows and the children would be picking ripe vegetables from the gardens. Could all of it really be meaningless?

I didn’t even blink as I replied, “And the nightmares? They have them too?”

He nodded, his eyes sad and dark.

“Why do they want us to be destroyed?” I asked.

“Because you will ask questions and you will keep looking for truth.”

I slid off the rock,” And this is a bad thing?”

He stood, brushing off his jeans, “No, it’s not. You must never stop. That is why I am here.” He suddenly jerked his head as though he heard something loud. I didn’t hear a thing.

“It’s begun. They are here.” He pulled something from under his shirt behind him. I gasped and stepped back, recognizing the object in his hands from the drawings in our history books. It was black and shiny and shaped like an L.

It was gun.

“No…this can’t be the way!” I whispered.

“I’m not going to kill anyone who is innocent, Havyn,” he frowned,” this is only for protection. I will shoot anything that tries to kill you.”

“What are we going to do?” I asked, watching him fiddle with the gun for a second and causing it to make a loud clicking noise.

“We are leaving your village. You must disappear completely in order for this to
work,” Jacob stood as if waiting for me to agree or make a decision.

“The boundaries,” I said softly, “we can’t cross the boundaries.”

He chuckled almost mockingly, “It’s all in your mind, Havyn. They are not real; nothing will happen if you step outside of them.”
He brushed past me, “Hurry.”
“Wait,” I grabbed his arm, halting him, “What of all the villages?”
“In two more years there will be no such thing,” Jacob replied, face downcast.
“I’m sorry Havyn, it was only a vain dream, it isn’t real. What you are about to see when I take you away from here will scare you. Not even your nightmares will be enough. I’m sorry. You have no idea how sorry.”
I felt my fingers involuntarily tighten around his arm, “How do I know you are not just another dream?”
He held out his hand, “Have you ever taken my hand and actually followed me in your dreams?”
I closed my eyes, breathing deeply and then opened them to still see Jacob standing there. I released his arm and slowly took his hand. My palm slid against his. It  felt warm and sticky. He was flesh and bone. There was no doubt.

Jacob grinned and began walking fast, pulling me after him, “We only have ten minutes before they know you are gone, maybe less.”

My breath quickened as we ducked deeper under the trees. A soft ping sounded near my face. I let out a cry as bark flew harshly against my cheek. Jacob shoved me forward and whispered fiercely in my ear, “Run! That was a bullet!”

I broke into a desperate sprint, zigzagging through the undergrowth with terrified breaths. It was just like the nightmares! I heard the sound of Jacob’s gun, louder and more abrupt. It fired once, then twice and then a third time. There was immediately more soft rapid return fire. More bark flew off the trees around my head and funnels of dirt erupted at my feet. I heard Jacob immediately behind me, feet pounding the earth and breath heavy on my neck.

“Don’t look back!” he screamed,” We are almost there!”

I glanced forward and saw the wooden fence. It was the boundary. I skidded to a halt, but only found myself catapulted towards the fence as Jacob grabbed me from behind, “Jump!”

I felt the splintered wood dig into my knees as we both stumbled across and fell in a heap on ground that felt like loose gravel. I hit my head just above my left ear with hard crack! and pain cascaded down my body. It blinded my vision.

“Havyn!” I could hear Jacob shouting my name and pulling me to my feet. I squinted, vaguely seeing the outline of his face and a sky that was absolutely black. Starless. Only the moon hung like a fingernail scraping a blackboard.

And then I lost consciousness…
***
My parents threw a huge birthday party in the village gardens the year I turned eleven. I remember the satin white dress I wore with the green ribbons. I begged to wear green because I didn’t want to be like the other girls who wore pink. My mother had conceded with exasperation, complaining that I was too opinionated for my own good. I am sure I was, now that I think about it.

It is tradition for an eleventh birthday party to last all day in my village. Everyone stops what they are doing to celebrate. We gathered in the gardens and meadows all day eating, playing games and taking naps on colorful quilts across the emerald grass. I remember all the good things people said about me, reasons why they loved me and why I was going to do so well when I grew up. I remember all the gifts I received and all the gifts I gave away. I remember all the song I sang to the other children.

But what I remember the most about my eleventh birthday was my very first nightmare. It happened right at midnight. It is seared in my mind like an ugly scar. That was the night I lost my innocence. Forever…

My dream consisted of three things: two men ripping up the village gardens with axes, my mother lying dead on our front porch, blooding streaming from her nose, and Jacob running from the forest begging me to come with him.

I always knew my dreams were more real than my parents would let me believe. I had too many questions for my teachers and too much imagination for my friends. Only a few people knew about my nightmares. It had to be secret, because it couldn’t be explained. My dreams were an imperfect horror in a perfect world. That was why I could believe Jacob when he showed up. I had been waiting for him for a long time.

Jumping over the boundary was more than just running away from an obvious enemy who were wielding weapons, as surreal as that sounded. When I landed on the ground opposite the boundary I knew had done something real for the first time in my life. 

***
Jacob brought me around within five minutes. I was bleeding from a cut behind
my ear and shaking from the rush of adrenaline.

“They didn’t follow us?” I asked incredulously, staring around in confusion.
There were indeed no stars in the sky and it seemed to be the dead of night. The wooden
fence stood only a few feet away, but I saw no forest, only a massive, jagged cliff.  Where did that come from?

Jacob was shaking his head. He helped me sit up, ”They are just security officers
doing their job. They won’t go past the boundaries any more then you would have two
hours ago.”

I winced as he touched my head, “Does it hurt?”

“Like hell,” I grinned. I’d always wanted to say that, “Am I hurt bad?”

He shook his head,” No, the bleeding has already stopped. Can you walk?”

I nodded and he helped me to my feet. Jacob’s gun was still in his right hand and I
caught myself staring at it. I wondered if he had hit any of the men chasing us. I didn’t ask.

“We have two hours until sunrise,” he began, “Only two. That’s enough time to make you disappear.”

He started walking along the fence line. I stumbled after him, “It’s so dark. Why?”

I vaguely saw his hand point to the sky,” We lost the stars 40 years ago. The sun only shines for six hours a day. The moon is almost gone too.”

I stared at the ghostly thin light of pale moon in the lower corner of the western sky. It looked nearly dead.

            “Hurry up,” he insisted. I saw his dim form circling a huge rock ahead. I reached Jacob just in time to see him climbing into some kind of oval object hovering above the ground. It was black and sleek with curved windows.

            “Get in,” he said, poking his head out and gesturing to the other side. One of the windows raised itself with a soft hiss and I saw an empty seat waiting for me. I quickly slipped in finding myself in what I could only guess was some kind of vehicle like those in the past, only this must be more far advanced than anything I had ever read about.

            “Strap yourself in,” Jacob gestured to a thin strap of material beside my right arm. I grabbed it and snapped the buckle into place. Green and red and white lights erupted in a clustered array on the dash in front of us. Jacob began pushing and pulling and flipping things so fast I couldn’t keep up.

            “It’s like a car, only we fly and it runs on air,” he grinned, “It won’t be that long of a ride.”

            We suddenly shot forward across the desert. My hand gripped my seat in fright. I felt my head spinning for little bit. I was sure Jacob would crash us in only a few seconds. I had never ridden anything so fast, except maybe horse.

            “Don’t look back,” Jacob said without warning. I glanced over at him, heat spreading across my face. What the heck did…?

            A sudden blazing light and explosion glared in our windows from behind. I started to spin around, but Jacob’s arm reached out holding me back,” You don’t want to do that. Please, Havyn. It’s better you don’t.”

            His eyes told me the truth of what I didn’t want to know. I sank into my seat
weeping, “The dreams were all true?”

            I felt Jacob shaking his head,” No, they were not…”

            “But…” I began, tears streaming uncontrollably.

“Havyn, don’t believe for a minute your dreams are true, do you understand me?”

He was gripping the wheel, as he spoke, with such force I was silent. The flames from behind reflected on both our faces through the windows. I slowly nodded,” ok.”

            I leaned my head against the window pane, softly crying. Jacob said nothing for a very long time. The desert slipped past us mile after mile.

            “Why did you come all this way to get me out?” I asked him finally,” Why me when there are so many others?”

            Jacob shrugged, “You were the one who sent men back to us. It seem only right that we pull you out first.”

            “I don’t want to die?” I whispered, still choked by tears.

            “I never said anyone was going to kill you,” he replied, and his voice suddenly grew very deep, “I’m sorry your village is gone, Havyn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment